This shouldn’t have been a difficult post to write – getting an amazing vehicle like the Honda Odyssey for a Family Day weekend trip to New Jersey should write itself. However, for this Windsor girl that grew up surrounded by the Big Three it wasn’t that easy. I felt like a traitor and that’s what kept me from reviewing this vehicle. I’m over it.
I have four children and I drive a minivan and I am NOT embarrassed by it, I OWN it. SUVs look chic but are not practical for my growing family. They are difficult to get in and out of and NONE of them have lots of room in the back seat or enough trunk space. I should know because my husband is looking at getting a new car and we have test driven so many of them. I had 3 children under 3 so all of them were in car seats and cars were not an option, we bought a minivan right away. Once the fourth child came I knew that I would be driving a minivan for quite a long time…my husband took a lot of coaxing but even he is a convert.
The first few things I noticed about the Honda Odyssey Touring
- -phone pairing is easy, much easier then with my current vehicle.
- -it drives like a car. That is what won my husband over immediately.
- -button located in the tailgate. Easier to close and brilliantly placed.
- - cool box! It keeps your drinks cool, brilliant.
- -built in vacuum – cleaning is a breeze. Little kids make a mess, so do adults after a road trip and I was able to vacuum the vehicle and return it just like I got it.
- -8 inch control panel screen. There were SO many options that I just couldn’t learn everything in one weekend, like the SMS text function.
We drove this vehicle in February during one of the worst February’s I can remember. This car drove like a tank with it’s winter tires. While other vehicles were literally sliding across the New Jersey streets (some people had Florida licence plates and others were locals) we were secure in our vehicle. This vehicle is loaded with safety features and you can tell when you drive it. I am not an engineer or a mechanic but everyone who drives knows when they are driving a well built vehicle and that is how this car feels.
Safety Features in the vehicle I had included:
- - Forward Collision Warning (FCW) 
– Lane Departure Warning (LDW) 
– Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control 
– Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
– Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
– Brake Assist
– Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Guidelines 
– Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) 
– Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
– Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure
– Dual-Stage, Multiple-Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
– SmartVent® Front Side Airbags
– Three-Row Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor
– Driver’s and Front Passenger’s Active Head Restraints
– 3-Point Seat Belts at all Seating Positions
– Front 3-Point Seat Belts with Automatic Tensioning System
– Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH): Lower Anchors (2nd-Row All, 3rd-Row Outboard), Tether -Anchors (2nd-Row All, 3rd-Row All)
My children loved the DVD entertainment centre that was also wireless so we didn’t have to listen to their movies as we drove. It was pure luxury. I loved the lane watch and cameras that made parking a breeze. My husband actually enjoyed driving the Odyssey and we all noticed how quiet it was. That might have been the biggest surprise for me, conversations where clear while we drove.
The one issue was with the GPS, it was disappointing. I would map out your road trip before you leave just to save time. My husband and I even tested it when we were close to home and it selected a route that over shot and then brought us back to our house. I am pretty sure that Honda will rectify that situation.
The Honda Odyssey has a high price tag but I like to say that the cheap is expensive. If you are looking for a quality vehicle for your family with all the bells and whistles that kids will want to drive in and adults will want to drive this is the perfect vehicle. We do lots of road trips to Sudbury and Windsor so we’re pros at this whole thing and the Honda made our trip to New Jersey enjoyable and safe. My husband has told me that the next minivan he wants to buy is a Honda Odyssey and I’m good with that.